Friday 29 August 2008

More Interesting Brit expressions

  1. Bless their cotton socks - "Those guys, bless their cotton socks, are a pain in the neck!"
  2. Wobbler - "Whoops, that was a bit of a wobbler". (in the US we might refer to that as a 'brain dead moment', or a 'blond moment')
  3. Good Shout - "Good shout, I didn't think of that one!" (in the US we might say, "good thinking")
  4. Used in anger - "At what point will the system be used in anger?" (when will it go into production, or when will it be used for real)
  5. Get my coat - "Okay, well I'm getting my coat" - (I'm done, let's call it a day)
  6. Skip - A skip is a 'dumpster' in the US, often the kind used on construction sites for debris.
  7. Slip - Not what you are thinking guys ... A slip road is an exit off of a highway.
  8. Give it a think - "I'll give it a think." Let me think about that.
  9. Dog's Dinner - "They've made a dog's dinner of that." - They've made a mess of that. (a dog's dinner starts out in a bowl, ends up all over the place)
  10. Nutter - "You are a complete nutter!" - You are nuts!

No comments: