Tuesday 22 January 2008

Lyon France





Our team had our quarterly meetings at the Wolseley France IT offices in Lyon. Lyon is a beautiful town. We worked Tuesday through Friday morning and then everyone traveled home. I took the train to Paris and met the family, but before I left I took the opportunity to see the sites I was most interested in.
There are several beautiful buildings in town, but the one that stands above the rest, literally and figuratively is the Basilica de Fourviere. It sits on the hill overlooking the city and is absolutely stunning. And just down the hill from it are two, side by side, Roman amphitheaters. The one on the left is the larger of the two. Lyon still has concerts and other performances in the larger of the two.
I had a few hours to kill after I checked out of the hotel and before my train left for Paris, so I decided to go to see the Basilica. Obviously, I had to take my suitcase. Getting up the hill to the church looked to be quite an effort so I decided to be smart and take the tram up the hill. So, in my halting and limited French, I found my way to the ticket booth and purchased a tram ticket and rode it to the top of the hill. But it was still about a mile to the Basilica, so I hauled my big suitcase over to it and thoroughly enjoyed the visit, but worked up a sweat getting there. On the way down I realized the ticket I purchased was for a bus that takes you from the tram right to the cathedral, and back to the tram. The tram ride was free. Whoops!

No comments: