Monday 17 September 2007

The Commute


I commute about 25 minutes each way.

The most arresting thing you see is a giant propellor along the way. It is roughly 75 feet tall with giant blades, each probably 30 feet long. I grabbed this picture of it off the internet. It says it is a very advanced design, capable of generating enough energy to power 1000 homes.
Traffic signals here are backwards. They transition from red, to yellow, to green. So, they all start moving on the yellow. Very strange.
I have not yet seen a police vehicle on the highway. The reason is they can't afford them, so they use traffic cameras. Every few miles there is a sign saying there is a traffic camera ahead. I was told that they mail you a ticket if they catch you, usually about 30 days after you were caught. Of course, you don't know you were caught. The cameras seem to work because traffic goes the speed limit by the cameras. Elsewhere is a different subject altogether. Those of us non-natives mostly use GPS devices to find our way around. They have the location of the traffic cameras built in, so it beeps as you approach one. My first thought was it helps you circumvent the law, but on the other hand, what are you doing? You are slowing down, exactly what they want.

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

I love the blog and the picture! I can't wait for more pictures. I'll email some next week. Have a good week and say hello to Shirleen and the gang for me.

Pard said...

Thanks for the continuing commentary on your grand adventure. When you establish phone numbers, email, and a permanent address, let us know.

There is a line of similar windmills, 38 in all, not far from our place in PA. I'll send pictures.

Take care, and love to the family.