Tuesday 5 February 2008

More "Brit Speak"

We've been here a little over five months and I still regularly learn new expressions or new uses for words I am familiar with. I've been keeping a list. See how many you know.
  • NB - noté bene - Used similar to 'PS' at the end of a letter but more formally. Means 'please pay attention to this'
  • PTO - Please Turn Over - Used on forms to get you to the reverse side
  • Redundant - Laid off - "You have been made redundant"
  • Give A Bell - Call - "I'll give you a bell later."
  • TTFN - Ta Ta For Now - Tigger says this in the Winnie the Pooh stories
  • slated - cursed - "Wow, he really slated you!"
  • jaded - tired - "It's been a long day, I'm jaded"
  • Shirty - cranky - "Don't you get shirty with me!"
  • slag - bad mouth - About the same as 'slated'
  • rashers - bacon
  • bangers - sausage
  • sorted - fixed - "We'll get the problem sorted out for you"
  • nick - steal
  • pinch - steal
  • table - introduce for consideration - Opposite of US usage. "I'd like to table this idea" - bring it to the table for consideration
  • Uni - university
  • bob's your uncle - all done - "First you do this, then that, and bob's your uncle, you are done!"
  • cheeky - smart aleck
  • chin wag - a chat - "let's have a chin wag over lunch"
  • chuffed - pleased - "He was really chuffed when he won"
  • cracking - best - "A cracking good game!"
  • dodgy - shaky - "That milk may be a bit dodgy, it smells bad."
  • easy peasy - easy - "Let me show you how to do that, it's easy peasy!"
  • I'm easy - don't care - "You pick a place for dinner, I'm easy."
  • kip - nap - "I'm jaded, I need a kip"
  • knackered - tired - "It's been a long day, I'm knackered and need a kip"
  • momentarily - an amount of time - In the US if something will happen momentarily, it will happen soon. In the UK if something will happen momentarily, its duration is a minute. So if we say "the plane will land momentarily" they think it's only going to be on the ground a minute. ("How do we get on????")
  • total pants - useless - "This watch doesn't keep accurate time, it's total pants"
  • pear shaped - disaster - "Well this project has gone pear shaped on me."
  • pinch - steal - Same as nick
  • zonked - tired - same as jaded, knackered
  • zed - Z' - the last letter of the alphabet
TTFN

2 comments:

Andrea (Annie) said...

This is Andrea Hamblin, Spencer's sister. Just wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading about your adventures in England. It has been an education and very enjoyable! Keep up the great blogs and hope you don't mind that I take a peek into your amazing life. Take care!

PapaJohn said...

Anna - Glad you are enjoying the blog. When we left the states many people suggested I do this, but I had never done one before. It has turned out to be a lot of fun and will be a great diary for us to look at in the future.
Thanks for the note.
John